With gas prices soaring, now is never better than investing in a bike. It is a simple investment that helps you save on transportation, gym membership, and, of course, the environment. Sooner or later, everyone will go down that path (that’s what we hope!).
Even for the lazy, we now have electric bikes that make the ride more manageable and convenient. However, what is breaking the market of bike commuting are the folding e-bikes. These electric bikes have foldable abilities, which means you can pack your bike and carry it on the train, under your desk, or in that tiny storage unit at home. When you need it, you unfold it, and the e-bike will ride like a blizzard past the car stuck in the morning traffic.
But with a saturated market of various brands and bike models, it is hard to choose the right fit. Don’t worry; we came to your rescue. After countless hours of research, we compiled a list of the 7 best folding electric bikes.
Let’s explore them.
7 Best Folding Electric Bikes
Looking to buy a folding electric bike but do not know where to start? Well, look no further. Before purchasing a folding electric bike, we have considered everything you need to know, such as the range, its folding mechanism, battery, and ride quality.
So sit back and enjoy reading our guide with the top seven best folding electric bikes you can find on the market currently.
Do you want to buy an electric bicycle but do not want to spend a fortune on it?
Well, you have come to the right place. The HITWAY electric bicycle is the best folding electric bike under $1000 you can purchase.
The Hitway folding electric bicycle has high-quality components to ensure a comfortable ride in smooth or challenging terrains. The ergonomic design and its front hydraulic shock absorber guarantee comfort during long rides in any terrain.
This folding e-bike has an efficient electrical system that includes a removable battery. Besides that, the bike’s 40 km power-assisted endurance allows you to take your bike on long rides.
If you wish to ride your electric bike during the night hours, the HITWAY folding e-bike is equipped with LED rear lights, a side reflector, a pedal reflector, and front light to ensure that you can see and be seen.
- Carbon steel material
- Unisex product
- 49.6 pounds body weight
- Can hold up to 264.5 lbs
- 25 km maximum speed
- 18650 lithium battery
- 36v 7.5Ah battery capacity
- Pneumatic tires
- 770 x 430 x 700 folding size
- 1470 x 610 x 1100 expanded size
- 16-inch aluminum-alloy integrated tire allows greater grip power
- Front fork shock absorption allows for a stable riding
- Middle shock absorption allows for a more comfortable riding
- You can choose either pure electricity mode or moped mode
- Adjustable heights for more comfort and stability for riders of different heights
- Adjustable handlebars
- Customized front and rear disc brakes for enhanced protection
- Safe LED front light and horn for safety at night
- The detachable battery has a large capacity and can be charged
- It takes less than a minute to fold and unfold
- Portable electric bicycle tires provide excellent grip and cushioning ability
- Comes with a reduced price
- Overall a light and convenient bike structure
- Losing the spare key of the bike makes it unusable
- Check the traffic regulations to confirm if electric bikes can be driven in public spaces before purchasing the bike because the company does not accept returns if the bike is used illegally
Buying a folding electric bike sounds really expensive. But it does not have to be that way. You can find electric bikes even if you are on a tight budget. The Gorpore portable folding electric bike is the best budget folding electric bike you can get on the market.
The Gorpore portable folding electric bike is perfect for daily commuting. It has a powerful 250W brushless motor, which can go up to 25 km/h. And if you worry about going too fast, this bike has dual disc brakes that provide a stable and effective stopping power wherever you are. Its 36V 7.5Ah lithium-ion battery lets you ride for 25 miles on a single charge.
The Gorpore e-bike is folded within seconds, and you place it anywhere as it doesn’t take too much space. The folding e-bike also comes with bright LED headlights, so you are seen while riding the night.
- 250W brushless motor
- Aluminum alloy frame
- 14 inch tire diameter
- 100 kg load capacity
- 20mph maximum speed
- 36V 7.5Ah lithium-ion battery
- 4-6 hours time to charge
- Folding Size: 70cm / 27.56in x 35cm / 13.78in x 61cm / 24.02in
- Overall very affordable
- It has dual disc brakes for effective stopping power
- Bright LED lights within 2km that help you see and be seen by pedestrians and other drivers at night
- You can fold and unfold it within seconds
- Very easy to store
- Does not take too much space
- Powerful 36V 7.5AH lithium-ion battery for longer time and distance
- Travel up to 25 miles on a single charge
- Adjustable seat and handlebar that fits different riders
- Powerful and fast 250W brushless motor
- Fit for steep hills as well
- Front and rear disc brakes for protection and safety
- The assembly instructions can be unclear to some
Do you enjoy a simple bike ride in the city, or are you the adventurous cyclist who enjoys cycling under challenging terrains? If so, you need an electric bike with fat tires like the Wallke H2 Folding Fat Tire electric bike.
The fat tire electric bike is made for versatile terrain whether you are riding it in wet, snowy, or off-road conditions. It comes with a powerful BAFANG-500W motor that is as quiet as a whisper for up to 25 mph. Its removable 48V 13Ah integrated battery can last up to 45 miles on one charge. Besides, the Wallke H2 folding e-bike comes with a pedal assist, which will give you more power while riding the bike. Despite its fat tires, the e-bike can be folded in seconds, taking a space of 27.6-inch height.
If you are in for some adventures, this folding e-bike is the perfect solution for you.
- 6061 Aluminum frame
- 37.4, 27.6 24-inch folding frame
- 17.6 lbs battery weight
- 300 lbs maximum load capacity
- 68 lbs weight
- 20-inch fat tire
- Bafang 500W rear-drive motor
- 48V 13AH LG lithium-ion battery
- Multifunctional LCD display
- Hydraulic suspension fork
- Has two drive systems
- 20-inch fat tire provides convenience
- Easy to fold in seconds and store anywhere from apartments to cars, or any tight spaces
- Its rear-mounted BAFANG brushless motor is durable and runs quietly
- Great uphill capacity and acceleration.
- It has a max speed of 20mph which you can adjust to 25mph.
- Its lockout suspension fork Conquer is made to fit all types of terrain
- Its 48V 13Ah removable battery with a 500Wh capacity is perfect for long-distance travel up to 45 miles
- It has 4 riding modes
- Great stopping power
- You can set a password for your bike to get all the riding data
- Its aluminum frame is resistant to rust and easy to maintain
- Its rear rack is perfect for carrying extra cargo
- Iron fenders keep you clean even in bad weather conditions
- Bright LED headlights for more visibility during night
- It also includes a rotatable aluminum phone holder
- The bike can be a bit heavy
The Nakto folding electric bicycle is a multipurpose bike that features a high-quality carbon steel folding frame. The bike has been designed to fit the needs of people who travel to work, school, or just anywhere on a regular basis. It also has a luggage rack where you can place your essentials. If you want to ride your electric bike in dense traffic, then this NAKTO bike is a must-have for you.
The Nakto folding electric bike comes with a 250W brushless motor and a 36V 10Ah lithium battery that can last up to 30 miles on a single charge. The bike comes with an LCD to help you be visible at night and can take a load of up to 250 lbs.
Moreover, this stylish bike comes in many colors for you to choose from.
- 16-inch size
- Alloy frame
- 250 brushless motor
- 4 hours of charging time
- 36V 10Ah lithium battery
- LCD display
- 250 lbs maximum load capacity
- One-year warranty for the original owner
- Comes in many colors
- Its 36V lithium-ion battery with its overcharge protection is perfect for long-distance rides
- Its 250W brushless motor delivers faster speed, better thermal performance, and runs quietly
- It features strong LCD headlights that can provide visibility of 15 meters for safe travel at night
- It features a rear seat perfect for carrying an extra person
- Its 16″ rubber tires feature a special pattern that makes them resistant to slipping and wearing out
- Thick tires against penetration
- It features a soft saddle to enhance comfort
- Quality carbon steel frame
- Easily foldable
- You can get it in black, red, yellow, and white
- Heavy battery and bike
The Swagtron Swagcycle folding electric bike has made our list because of its lightweight. Weighing only 37 pounds, you can ride this bike with 84 % less effort, even during uphill riding.
The Swagrtwon Swagcycle folding e-bike comes with a standard battery that can last up to 15.5 miles on a single charge. However, this hybrid bike allows you to switch the motor on and off during the ride, which means you can get your cardio during the ride and pump the speed for those uphill roads.
It is a great choice for people looking for an affordable, high-quality electric bike that does not feel like they have to use too much physical strength to move it around.
- Comes pre-assembled
- Adjustable height
- 14-inch wheels
- 15.5-mile range
- It features a triple-fold design
- The bike weighs 37 lbs / 16.8 kg
- Aluminum alloy frame material
- 58cm medium size
- Comes pre-assembled, so you do not have to waste your time reading instructions
- Adjustable handlebar and height for a comfortable riding position for any rider
- Air-filled rubber tires for enhanced traction and easier maintenance
- Long-lasting rechargeable battery
- Its power assist mode makes uphill riding easier
- Autoguard technology for easier and effective stopping power
- Easy to transport
- It features only one pedal-assist level
Starting from its simple but stylish design to its high-quality components that ensure only the best performance, the Jetson Axle Foldable electric bike has everything you need for a perfect riding experience.
This stylish folding e-bike comes with a 250W motor that reaches a top speed of 15.5 mph. It also comes with a twist throttle when you are in a hurry and pedal-assist when you want to enjoy the ride. Its non-universal lithium-ion battery can last up to 1.5 hours of the nonstop ride. What makes this folding e-bike unique is its light weight of 38 lbs which can hold up to 250 lbs.
Get ready to make a stylish statement and have a great experience with Jetson Axle 12″ simple but effective design.
- 250 W rear-wheel motor
- Twist throttle acceleration
- Lithium-ion battery
- LED headlight and rear light:
- 41 Inches (L), 39 Inches (H) x 19 Inches (W) overall dimensions
- Weights 38 pounds
- Can hold up to 250 pounds
- Aluminum frame material
- Rubber wheels
- 1 year limited warranty
- 12 years and up is the recommended age
- A powerful 250W rear-wheel motor that makes no noise
- Concealed and rechargeable battery for long-distance rides up to 15 miles
- LED headlights and rear light for enhanced visibility and safety during the night
- Easy to fold and store
- Stylish design
- Adult assembly is required
Lastly, we have featured the Ecotric Folding Fat Tire electric bike on our list. This great fat tire folding electric bicycle is packed with powerful features such as a strong motor, battery, and Shimano external speed.
The Ecotric Folding e-bike features 20-inch tires and a 500W motor that can reach a speed of 20 mph. The bike has a removable 36v 12.5ah lithium battery which can go on for hours. It also has an 810 LED display and mechanical front and rear disc brakes.
This bike is a perfect solution for the outdoorsy type who likes to get lost in off-road terrain, summer, and winter.
- Weights 57.3 pounds
- 500W motor
- 36V battery
- 20 Mph speed
- 18-23 miles
- Holds up to 260 pounds
- Takes 6 to 8 hours to charge
- 20’’ fat tire
- Aluminum alloy frame material
- Adjustable seat and handlebars for a comfortable ride
- Big and comfortable seat
- Powerful motor and long-lasting battery
- Durable and fast
- Four working modes
- Easily foldable
- It can be a bit heavy
What to Look For When Buying a Folding Electric Bike?
With so many options, the choice becomes difficult if you do not know exactly what to look for to buy the highest quality folding electric bike.
You must look at several factors to determine if an eclectic bike will fit your needs and wants. Think of how long you intend to travel, does it have a good folding mechanism, or is it comfortable to ride it on long distances?
To help you make an informed decision, we will discuss each point in more detail below.
So, you first need to consider where and how you plan to use your folding electric bike. Make sure to pick a bike with a higher range than the distance you plan to ride. This is a good way to ensure the battery does not run out while riding your bike.
So, before you make a decision, ask yourself these questions before buying a particular electric bike:
- How far do I want to travel?
- What kind of terrain will I travel on?
It is also highly recommended to buy an electric bike with pedals so you can sweat your ride back home when the battery runs out.
The e-bike’s folding mechanism is probably these bikes’ most awesome feature. Their folding ability makes it easier to carry and store them. So what exactly should you look for when it comes to a bike’s folding mechanism?
Make sure to pick a bike you can fold and unfold fast and easily. What is the point of buying a folding bike if you struggle to fold it properly? At that point you might as well buy a regular bike for a cheaper price. So to avoid that, check the bike’s mechanism since that determines how fast you can fold it.
A split-fold mechanism makes it easier and quicker to fold because of a hinge on the center of the frame. In contrast, a triangular hinge mechanism takes more time but uses less space. Select the one that is more convenient for your needs.
It is recommended that the best thing you can do here is get a bike with a removable battery.
A removable battery has several advantages over an in-build battery. First is that you cannot store, remove, or charge in-build batteries. However, with removable batteries, you can do all of that, and if your bike is too heavy, you can decrease the weight by removing it from the bike.
Lastly, consider the ride quality. This basically means checking the bike’s motor support. Always opt for a strong motor, especially if you plan to ride your bike on hilly terrains. Make sure your e-bike has pedal sensors for enhanced motor power.
Also, try to get a quiet motor for your comfort and others around you.
Buying a foldable electric bike is not easy, provided the long list of options. However, equipped with its advantages, it is a worthy investment for your well-being, comfort, and the environment.
Now that you are familiar with the best electric bikes and what to look for buying one, take a second to pick your favorite option. Hopefully, we have given you the help you need.