It goes without saying that the safety of children when biking is of utmost importance for a parent. A proper helmet is one of the most critical tools contributing in this regard. However, in an ever-growing global market, with so many products being released on a daily basis, it’s not so easy to decide what type of helmet to buy for your kid.
This article aims to help you choose the best helmet by providing a list of the best kids’ bike helmets on the market, together with their key features, pros, and cons. Moreover, we’ll be providing some insights into what aspects you should consider before purchasing a kids’ bike helmet.
12 Best Kids Bike Helmets
Below we’re listing 12 of the best kids’ bike helmets you can find in the market. Ready to learn more about them? Let’s go!
Joovy Noodle offers a kid helmet suitable for toddlers aged between one to nine years old, enabling long-term use. This helmet is worth the money thanks to its special features including flexibility in usage, availability in different sizes and colors, as well as other excellent features explained below.
- Availability in two sizes: small (18.5-20.5 inches/47-52 cm) and medium (20.5-22 inches/52-56 cm).
- Availability in seven vibrant colors
- 14 vents that allow your kid to keep their head cool during long-time use
- Mesh to the front vents of the helmet which will keep the creepy bugs away
- Comfortable chin strap that prevents neck pinches and chafed skin
- Flexible for a long term use
- Prevents sweat, even in summer
- Keeps the bugs away
- Allows a perfect vision
- Sun protection
- Light weight
- A multitude of colors available.
- It may run small for some kids, so be careful when choosing the size.
If you’re looking for a stylish, innovative, lightweight, and most importantly comfortable helmet, then Kali Chakra may easily become your preferred choice. This product uses a thinner shell, thus making the helmet both lightweight and tough. Moreover, the Kali Chakra helmet comes packed with several color options, so your kid can look the coolest while riding their bike.
Some of the key characteristics of the Kali Chakra Kids Helmet are:
- 245 g/2.6 oz weight
- Available in XS (46-48 cm) and S (48-54 cm)
- Includes an adjustable moto-style visor
- Possesses antibacterial pads
- Has a removable and washable liner
- Less mass attached to your kid’s head, owing to its lightweight
- A multitude of catchy colors and designs
- Anti-bacterial function
- Easy-to-wash liner
- May not run true to size.
Giro Tremor MIPS is another top-notch bike helmet for your little ones. What is special about this helmet is mostly its integrated MIPS technology that provides increased protection against brain injuries. However, that is not all. It has numerous other great features that may facilitate your choice. You can check them out below.
- Complies with the US CPSC Safety Standards for Bicycle Helmets
- Owns an extra layer of protection against physical and traumatic brain injuries with integrated MIPS technology
- Made of polycarbonate and weighs around 1 pound (453 gr)
- Has a universal fit sizing (47-54 cm)
- Possesses 18 vents for better ventilation
- It comes with an adjustable chin strap
- Safety certified
- Able for long-term
- Keeps your child’s head cool, even after wearing it for long periods
- User-friendly chin strap
- A bit pricey
Lazer Gekko’s high protective features and very special designs tick many boxes for a child’s helmet. They come in a universal size and are suitable for kids at ages as early as one and up. Moreover, its sides and rear extend lower and consequently provide for extra protection.
- MIPS Technology integrated for better protection
- It’s quite lightweight – precisely 330 grams
- Has a universal size
- Available in very special colors/designs, including sharky, pink sea pony, unicorns, and white dino
- 12 vents to prevent overheating
- Flexible for long-term use thanks to its universal sizing
- Fits even one-year-old toddlers
- Extra protection provided
- Head remains cooler through the vents
- Specially designed to prevent a pinch chin.
- Fewer designs to choose from
If you want your kid to look cute while also safe while driving, then you might opt in for the Nutcase, Little Nutty helmet. This helmet is suitable for ages 3+ and comes with extra protection owing to its MIPS integrated technology, EPS foam pads, and injection-modeled ABS shell. If you’re already intrigued, please keep reading other worthy features of the helmet.
- Equipped with Adjustable Crumple Zone EPS foam pads
- Equipped with an injection-modeled ABS shell
- Features MIPS technology that helps reduce brain injury
- Comes in more than 20 vibrant colors and designs
- Possesses 11 air vents for a proper airflow
- Equipped with a detachable visor
- Increased safety and protection
- Special designs that allow the little one to stand out of the crowd
- Proper airflow that prevents sweat
- Possibility to use the visor for protection from sun, but also remove it when not needed
- A bit heavier than other helmets
Often, simple is best. Thousand’s founders take great pride in offering a helmet that is functional, lightweight, and doesn’t sacrifice style for safety. Moreover, it’s safety certified for cycling, roller skating, and skateboarding. Additionally, this helmet comes in sizes suitable for kids and adults, allowing you to matchy-match your little one.
- Has a secret PopLock
- Has a magnetic buckle that enables an easier fastening
- Has vegan leather straps so your your kid is sweat-free
- Equipped with seven air vents and three cooling channels to keep your kid’s head cool
- Comes in a multitude of colors
- Guaranteed replacement in case of damage or theft while locked up
- Very easy fastening thanks to its magnetic buckle
- Proficient cooling system
- Its uniform texture/colors tend not to go out of style easily
- Not so suitable for kids who are fond of vibrant designs.
Triple Eight Bike Helmet is compliant with CPSC Standards for Bike Helmets and it is suitable for kids over 5 years and above. Thanks to its impact-absorbing EPS foam and thick dual-density soft foam, this helmet offers the highest comfort and safety you can find.
- A light weight of no more than 200 grams
- Availability in many sizes, including XS/S appropriate for kids
- It has a tough ABS outer shell and EPS liner
- It offers great safety to the child
- No excessive mass on the little one’s head
- Removable and washable liners
- Not available sizes for toddlers under 5 years old
A Krash Girls Youth Bike Helmet is recommended for kids above 8 years old and it will allow them to stand out from the crowd, owing mostly to its special design and led lights. Your kid will love the special gloss and matte purple or pink leopard print, or the print of 3D cat ears. Perhaps, the little one is more fond of tye dyes, and that choice is available too with the Crash Girls Youth. If you already loved the design, please bear with us to learn more about other special features of this helmet.
- Adjustable straps
- Colorful and catchy designs
- Aerodynamic cooling vents that enable a greater airflow
- Led lights in two different modes such as steady glow and flash
- Batteries included and an auto shut off system to prolong battery life
- Your kid will fall in love with the vibrant colors and design on the helmet
- Its adjustable straps are easy to use
- Its vent ensures proper airflow and prevents sweat.
- Generally, not available for kids under the age of 8, although that may vary.
If you want to purchase something more classic and long-lasting in fashion for your toddler, you might consider the Radio Flyer Helmet as the latter offers just that. Radio Flyer Helmet has fewer colors and designs in comparison to some other brands mentioned above, still, it surely offers a nice look.
- Relatively light in its weight. Around 453 grams (1 pound).
- Suitable for kids aged 2-5 years old
- Has an adjustable chin strap and interior
- Easier to carry it on for a longer period of time
- Classic designs that enable the little one to remain fashionable at all times
- Adjustable chin strap and interior
- Possibility of replacements in case of defects
- Not suitable for more older kids
- Limited colors to choose from
If you’re looking for a helmet that is as appropriate for both winter and summer, then BERN Kids Nino Helmet is definitely the answer. With its replaceable liners, it keeps the child’s head and ears warm as they cycle during winter.
- Meets safety CPSC and EN standards
- Weighs 1.1 pounds (or around 450 grams)
- Comes in an XS/S sizes
- Is equipped with a soft flip visor
- Replaceable Kids ZipMold Warm and Cold Weather Liners
- Bern PDW Bike Lights are easily attached to the helmet
- Fun graphics and colors
- Relatively lightweight, thus easy to carry it on
- Appropriate for all seasons due to its replaceable liners
- Flippable sun visor offers greater conformity
- Offers a great variety of choices in color and design
- No MIPS technology integrated.
With more than 40 different styles to choose from, S1 Lifer Helmet holds the first prize in terms of providing a variety of colors and designs. It is recommended for ages 5+ and the company takes pride in providing 5X more protection than other regular helmets.
- Certified multi-impact (ASTM) and high-impact (CPSC)
- Has a specially formulated EPS fusion foam
- Estimated to be 5X more protective than other helmets
- Has a light weight of 1.1 pounds (or around 450 grams)
- Offers a great deal of protection
- Offers a great range of colors and designs
- It is a great value for money
- None, really
At OnBros Bicycle Helmet for Kids, you will find a very lightweight helmet, yet one that offers high protection, proper airflow and doesn’t interfere with clear vision while riding. However, that is not all. The perfect news is that OnBros Bicycle Helmets come to the market at a reasonable price. Already intrigued? K reading for further useful information.
- It comes at a great price and four different designs to choose from
- Comes in two sizes, suitable for kids aged 5-8 and 8-14
- It has a soft lining and 15 vents to keep the head cooler
- It only weighs 180 grams
- Has a detachable visor, able to be removed at any time to suit your kid’s needs.
- Its great ventilation system keeps the head cool
- Flexible visor, able to be removed when needed
- Honestly, difficult to find one!
What to Look for When Buying Bike Helmets for Kids?
Now that you’ve been introduced to a whole collection of the best bike helmets for kids, we guess it’s the time that you make the choice. With such a collection before you, we believe that is not an easy task. However, we still remain here to help you choose the best kids bike helmet by advising you to look into three things before making a helmet purchase.
A helmet during accidents is crucial. To assess the level of durability checks the information on the material used to manufacture the outer shell of the helmet. Studies recommend that a favorable material in this respect is Gross Fiber Reinforced (GFR), but also Polycarbonate (PC) and Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS).
When you check for breathability, in general, see the number and size of the helmet’s vents. The greater the number and the sizes, the more air will flow and will prevent sweat during riding. Thus, before the purchase, check the number of vents in a helmet.
This article has introduced you to a whole list of the best kids bike helmets on the market. If you want one single suggestion, well, that is a bit difficult. Each of the helmets presented above excels in the level of protection, breathability, and the multitude of designs and colors.
However, don’t forget to check the main features before making a purchase. Check on the material to have an insight into its durability, and check on the number and size of vents for breathability. Following such steps will enable you to purchase the best bike helmets, kids will be thankful for.